Shop Online!
September 7-13, 2020

Tournament Info

The Old White TPC

            old-whit.jpg

Golf Course Architect - C.B. Macdonald
Par 70
7,286 yards/slope 141

The Old White TPC, the first 18-hole golf course at The Greenbrier, opened in 1914 and has been hosting the best in the game for more than a century. A legend of Greenbrier golf history, the course was named for the well-known Old White Hotel, which stood on the grounds from 1858 to 1922.

President Woodrow Wilson was one of the first golfers to play The Old White TPC in April of 1914. This historic course features generous fairways and challenging, undulated greens. Every hole is memorable and has a well defined strategy for success. Whether you prefer a challenging approach or one with less risk and a higher chance of success, you'll find it on this historic course.

Charles Blair Macdonald, the father of American golf course architecture, designed the course and modeled several holes from some of the most famous European holes. The Old White TPC Course's Hole 8 was styled after the Redan at North Berwick; Hole 13 after the Alps at Prestwick; and Hole 15 after the Eden at St. Andrew's.

Over the years, golf greats including Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Tiger Woods, Jordan Spieth, Bubba Watson and Phil Mickelson have played these challenging greens. Sam Snead shot his final hole-in-one on The Old White TPC's Hole 18 in 1995.

In 2010, The Old White TPC hosted the inaugural Greenbrier Classic, a PGA TOUR, FedExCup Event. Past champions have included Stuart Appleby (2010), Scott Stallings (2011), Ted Potter, Jr. (2012), Jonas Blixt (2013), Àngel Cabrera (2014), Danny Lee (2015), Xander Schauffele (2017) and Kevin Na (2018).

In 2011, it was announced that The Old White is now The Old White TPC, joining the most prestigious golf courses in the nation within the PGA TOUR's The Tournament Player's Club Network.

After sustaining substantial damage during the flood of 2016, which forced the cancellation of The Greenbrier Classic, The Old White TPC reopened in July of 2017. By fully embracing the original Macdonald/Raynor elements, the course has been overwhelmingly embraced by PGA TOUR players and guests alike.

How did it get its name?

The name of The Greenbrier's PGA TOUR golf course, The Old White TPC, and the charitable arm of A Military Tribute at The Greenbrier, Old White Charities, pay tribute to The Greenbrier's storied past.

The original hotel that stood on the property from 1858 until 1922 was officially named The Grand Central Hotel, but the enormous white building quickly became known by the moniker, "The White." From 1913, when the current (then modern and up to date) hotel was constructed on the property, until the demolition of The Grand Central Hotel in 1922, the two buildings stood together, and the older building took on the nickname, "The Old White." In 1914 when CB Macdonald and Seth Raynor opened the first 18-hole golf course on the property, it was named The Old White in honor of that piece of history.

The name also pays homage to the sulfur springs that originally drew visitors to the area. Before taking on The Greenbrier name, the resort was known as White Sulphur Springs, now the name of the town, because of the white residue that the sulfur water left on the rocks surrounding the springs. Many believed those springs had healing powers, so visitors flocked to the property to "take the waters," which are still used today in The Greenbrier's mineral spa.

Hole-by-Hole Descriptions

Learn more about The Old White TPC at The Greenbrier

Our Partners